torsdag 12 maj 2016

How I made my stockings or Stocking-making for beginners - Part Three

Sewing the stocking together!

Unless your fabric has a distinct right and wrong side, be sure to mark your pieces so you know wich belong to the left and right stocking. I'm writing from experience here...

I start out with the back seam of the leg:
As I've sewn the long seam I try it on to make sure the narrowest part at the ankle is as tight as it can be, but still allows my foot to go through. When the leg seam passes this test, I fell the seam.

Next I add the side gores. When both are sewn in, I again check the fit. Basically I just put it on man make sure that I have enough seam allowance around the foot, and that the gores aren't to large. I then fell those seams.

Now comes the iffy bit, I do like my stockings to fit snugly and I do not trust my skill in cutting the perfect seam allowance. Thus I put the leg part of the stocking on and stand on the sole piece and pin them together. Here you have to be careful, as you want your seam to follow close to the floor. If you have an able assistant available I suggest using that person to help you with the pinning!

I sew the sole and leg together, check the fit and then I fell the seams.

Hem the top of the stocking.

Done!

(Pictures will be added when I make my next pair!)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar